Winter is here and along with it comes the dry and brisk winds that can make your skin dry and dull. Protect your skin by making some simple changes to your daily skincare routine. Try these 10 quick and easy winter skincare tips to stave off the dry skin blues this season.
1) Feed your skin – Got scaly skin? Just milk it. Bathe in milk like Cleopatra and get rid of that dry and scaly skin instantly. Always apply lotion on damp skin for extra moisture.
2) Say no to long super-hot water baths – Always bathe with lukewarm water and add a tablespoon of oat meal or baking soda to help relieve dry skin.
3) Exfoliate lightly – Pick exfoliators with tiny beads that are gentle on the skin and massage with very light hands. Avoid using harsh peels and face masks as they dry your skin more.
4) Rough and cracked heels – Make petroleum jelly your best friend! Gently buff away dead skin using pumice stone and apply a thick layer of petroleum jelly. Wear socks to let the petroleum jelly soak in and heal the cracked skin.
5) Dry itchy scalp – Dry and itchy scalp can be uncomfortable and embarrassing as well. Switch to an anti-dandruff shampoo and oil your hair regularly with coconut oil or almond oil to replenish your scalps natural oils.\
6) Chapped lips – Gently exfoliate your lips once a week using a paste of sugar and lemon juice. Always carry a moisturising lip balm or petroleum jelly and apply it 3-4 times a day to protect your lips.
7) Avoid lotions that come in a pump bottle packaging – Look for moisturisers that come in a jar rather than a pump bottle. The water content and PH base of the lotions available in pump bottles is high that ultimately leads to more dryness.
8) Eat foods that are rich in OMEGA-3, fatty acids, Vitamin C and Vitamin E such as fish, nuts, olive oil, and citrus fruits to nourish your skin from within.
9) Brittle nails- Dry nails snap moisture out of the air and make them prone to breakage. Always apply a coat of clear paint. Treat them with olive oil or lotions containing lanolin.
10) Irritated, dry eyes- Dry air can cause irritation in the eyes leaving them dry and itchy. Always keep a bottle of saline eye drops handy to cleanse your eyes.