Shapewear can make you look slimmer in most clothing you wear; they can smooth out lumps and give you a sleeker silhouette. Gone are the days when shapewear used to uncomfortably poke into your ribs; they have now become comfortable and ultra-slimming. If you’ve never tried them before, you might be in for a surprise. Celebrities swear by shapewear (they might not admit it too often) and it is sure to make you feel and look fabulous. Whether you want to slim your stomach or thighs, or just want to create sleek curve; shapewear can help you achieve those flawless curves without any hassle. Here’s a quick shapewear guide to help you get rid of your confusion surrounding these items of innerwear.
1) For an over – all sleek silhouette go for bodysuits and body slips.
Bodysuits might look like swimsuits but they actually work on lifting your body. They instantly flatten out your stomach, lift your bust and create a smooth silhouette. They can be worn under any outfit and they offer great support to your bust. Wear them with: figure hugging tops and bodycon dresses or maxi dresses.
1.2) Body control dresses or body slips: Body control dresses also known as body slips, perfectly hug your figure creating a flawless foundation under your dresses making your body look smooth and toned. Wear them with: sheer fit-and-flare dresses, shift dresses and maxi dresses.
2) For a defined waist and smooth tummy opt for corsets and waist clinchers.
Corsets or garter dresses are an essential piece of shapewear for every woman’s wardrobe. They are used to train your waist for creating that perfect hourglass figure. Most corsets come along with stocking clips to help keep them in place. Wear them with: tops, T-shirts, formal shirts and dresses.
2.2) Waist clinchers
A waist clincher or a tummy tucker is a wide belt that is worn around the waist to smooth out the tummy and hide your side bulges. They are versatile and are available in a wide range of styles. Wear them with: tight-fitting tops and T-shirts.
3) For smoother bottom and thighs try shaping shorts or control briefs.
3.1) Shaping shorts
Shaping shorts also popularly known as thigh slimmers are best if you want a smooth line under a slim-fitting skirt or some skinny jeans. They gently flatten your tummy, smooth your hips and thighs for a flattering and tapered look. Wear it with: pencil skirts and trousers.
3.2) Control briefs
Control briefs or high-waist knickers are ideal for everyday use. These knickers have a low cut on the legs and they provide full bottom coverage. They also have a high waist to gently minimise your tummy and side bulges. Wear it with: fitted trousers and skirts.
Now that you know everything about the different types of shapewear available, here are a few tips on finding the right shapewear for you.
1) Decide what shapewear works best for you by locating the areas to be targeted. If you need shapewear that only slims a specific area of your body like your stomach or thighs, opt for slips, corset or brief styled shapewear.
2) Stick to your size Women often make the mistake of picking out shapewear in smaller sizes to make them look slimmer which only ends up causing budges and discomfort. One should always stick to their size so as to make the most out of shapewear.
3) Opt for high waist shapewear to get smoother lines through the torso High-waist shapewear guarantees a smoother finish especially through the torso. You can opt for waist clinchers or controlling shorts that can be hooked onto your bra so that it doesn’t fall down for a better impact.
4) Choose a full bodysuit for all over body shaping Bodysuits create a head to toe streamline shape making you look slimmer and saves the time of pairing separate shapewear.
5) Look for the right fabric Shapewear is mostly available in polyester and spandex, which is ideally suited for cold climates. Look for cotton blended with spandex or polyester to keep you cool during summers.
Like our shapewear guide? Let us know in the comments section.