Does the summer heat make you think twice before you put on your favourite pair of shorts and tank top? Now you do not need to worry, just choose the right sunscreen and step out in the sun without the fear of sun burn and skin tan. Sunscreens protect your skin from the UVA and UVB rays of the sun which cause early ageing and wrinkles. You might come across the word ‘SPF’ written on your sunscreen which stands for Sun Protection Factor. SPF is actually just a gauge for telling you how much time a person can be exposed to the sun before getting burnt or tanned. For instance, SPF 15 can protect you from the sun effectively for 150 minutes.
Here is a list of some very handy tips that will help you choose the right sunscreen for your skin type.
1) When you go to shop for the product, make sure you read the product label carefully and check that it provides protection against both UVA and UVB rays.
2) Choose a higher SPF if you have a fairer skin tone, as people with lighter skin have higher chances of getting skin burns and tans.
3) Choose a broad spectrum cream with an SPF of 15 to 30. We recommend SPF 30 because the creams consistency is not too thick and it provides UV protection for almost up to 5 hours.
4) Choose the right sunscreen keeping in mind your skin tone as sunscreens are available in various shades.
5) Always apply a generous amount of sunscreen on your face. Do not rub the cream while applying, just gently spread the cream on the face and neck region and allow it to settle and form a protective layer on the skin.
6) If you have acne or oily skin problems, make sure you use a sunscreen which is water-based or oil-free so that your skin pores do not clog and you do not have any breakouts.
7) For your hands and feet, do not apply the same sunscreen that you use on your face. Rather go for a lotion which has an SPF of minimum 25. Lotions spread quickly and form a uniform protective layer over your skin to protect your skin cells from any sunray damage.
We recommend the following sunscreens for daily use. However you are free to choose a product that suits your preferences and skin type.
Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Body Mist Sunscreen (broad spectrum SPF 30) available for INR 675 available at Purplle
Clinique Sun Broad Spectrum (SPF 30) available for INR 4,668 at Sephora and Clinique stores across India
Burt Bee’s Baby Bee Sunscreen Stick (SPF25) available for INR 1,850 at Amazon