As the year wraps up, let us remind you of these top 25 stories of 2014 that probably made you scan Google for more scoop ‘coz the headline just wasn’t enough! Take a look.
1. The ‘Sanskaari man’
Yes Alok Nath did get his due fame in the end of 2013 but the memes continued till early this year! This 58 year old ‘Babuji’ was one of the hottest internet sensations inspiring the multiple rib-cracking memes hovering around online.
2. Ellen DeGeneres’s Oscar selfie
The most epic selfie of all times was taken at the Oscars early this year! Nothing can break the record of over 3 million retweets of this picture within a year! And then our Indian celebs jumped on the bandwagon too, legitimising selfies all over the country forever!
3. Kevin Spacey’s ‘Lungi Dance’
Bollywood made us proud! Thank you Deepika and Shahid.
4. The Flappy Bird addiction
If you didn’t get your hands on the most-downloaded game of the year 2014, all we gotta say is – there’s nothing you can do now! The game was discontinued because the creator of the game Dong Nguyen thought it was ‘too addictive’ for the users and the success of the game ruined his simple life. Oh Well!
5. Kim & Kanye’s glossy affair
Step 1. North West
Step 2. Let’s be on the cover of Vogue
Step 3. Let’s get married!
Step 4. THAT!
6. Sarthak Agarwal scored 99.6% in CBSE in the year 2014!
Looks like Alok Nath’s aashirwaad worked for this wonderboy and the world agrees!
7. When King Joffrey Baratheon was poisoned
One of the top 25 stories of 2014 was the death of King Joffrey Bratheon! Finally! The good did triumph over evil in Game of Thrones! And we thought this day would never come. Could Jon Snow be the next king now? Please?
8. How I Met Your Mother finally got its disappointing ending – And we were so mad!
9. When Fifty Shades of Grey released its first trailer
The fans of the famed book got their first glimpse of what Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele would look like in real life! Disappointing for some, exciting for many others, the trailer managed to work its magic and make it through our list of the top 25 stories of 2014! #MrGreyWillSeeYouNow
10. When Beyonce’s Sister Solange Knowles attacked Jay Z in an Elevator – Well that’s some family bonding!
11. When ISRO made us proud with the Mars orbiter
Another reason to feel proud about being Indian. How our country made it to the Red planet in the first attempt. Way to go Managalyaan! One of the very important things that happened in 2014, Mangalyaan created history like never before! #NeverHappenedBefore
12. When nude celebrity pictures raided the internet
That was unfortunate. Not cool. We love all the actors especially you JLaw #RespectPeoplesPersonalProperty #Karma
13. When Flipkart had their biggest sale ever
E-commerce giant Flipkart.com had its biggest sale ever in October this year. ‘The Big Billion day’ was supposed to be a milestone event for the company. The ‘aam aadmi’, however, had a different story to tell. Perhaps these twitter feed below can give us an idea.
14. (Talking about Aam Aadmi) Our very own Muffler man is set to make a comeback
After being in power for 49 days this year, Mr. Kejriwal is all set to make an iconic comeback in the upcoming Delhi elections in the year 2014. Let’s see what’s in store for us this time!
15. Alia Bhatt came back with a comeback!
For all those internet bullies who tried to get their 5 minutes of fame by coming up with Alia-Bhatt-is-so-dumb jokes, the actress featured in a comeback video along with All India Bakch*d and won our hearts! Well done Alia! #GeniusOfTheYear
16. When the Apple CEO said these words “I’m proud to be gay”
We love Apple and we love how Tim Cook encouraged people all over the world to accept themselves as they are.
17. When George Clooney tied the knot with Amal Alamuddin
It may be his second time at the altar but there’s no other couple THAT gorgeous. Sorry ladies, September 29th 2014 took away Hollywood’s most eligible bachelor from ya’ll!!
18. And if there were any unshattered hearts left in the world then they were broken into bits when British heartthrob, Benedict Cumberbatch announced his engagement to actress Sophie Hunter in The Times of London. The Cumber… ahem… Collective literally tore the internet apart. The cute, traditional announcement did nothing to make the pain less bitter-sweet!
19. And the next day Google pulled the plug on Orkut
After living a popular life for 10 years, Google’s first social networking site Orkut was shut down. RIP Orkut, you’ve been so kind and supportive to us through our entire childhood!
20. When our PM, Narendra Modi, rocked Central Park with Hugh Jackman
Quoting the famous dialogue from the Star Wars movies ‘May the force be with you’ with all his passion while standing next to Wolverine, proves that PM Modi is way cooler than you think he is! #Maytheforcebewithyou
21. When PM Modi launched the ‘Swacch Bharat Abhiyan’
PM Modi launched The ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’ nationwide to focus on sanitation, hygiene and waste management. Not just the PM, biggies like Anil Ambani, Big B, Salman Khan and Hrithik Roshan also joined the bandwagon and contributed their bit in keeping the country clean.
22. When blue ticks ruined our lives
2014 will also go down as the year of those evil blue ticks that Whatsapp introduced, making lives difficult the world over! Why Whatsapp? Why?!
23. When Salman Khan’s sister got married
Known as the biggest B-town event this year, this 65-crore big fat wedding witnessed an assemblage of the most sought-after people of the country and some people buried the hatchet. Wonder why we weren’t invited?!
24. When Gauhar Khan was slapped for wearing skimpy clothes
On the set of India’s Raw Star, the ex-Big Boss winner was slapped by an audience member for wearing…ugghhh not-very-modest clothes!
25. DDLJ completes 1000 weeks
The epic romantic saga of the 90’s Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge entered its 1000th running week at the Maratha Mandir in December and the movie still manages to warm the cockles of our hearts. To celebrate this milestone for the movie that defined an era in Bollywood, YRF produced this new trailer that had us going for the tissues. #DDLJForever